Entries from June, 2013

roundabout phase 1 complete

By looking at the photo, you would have no idea how much time and effort has gone into getting the Area 5 roundabout to this stage. After a HUGE amount of back-breaking, shoulder crunching clearance work, thanks to Julie, Wayne, Sam and others, I have now formed an almost level central bed for the roundabout to encompass. I’m looking forward to planting it up now, complimenting the existing willow trees.

Area 5 roundabout phase 1 complete

Area 5 roundabout phase 1 complete

The actual roundabout road, will be (as usual) underlaid with a reasonable depth of hardcore, as on digging down, we have found a considerable layer of light brown clay, and beneath this a very dark and somewhat pungent layer of sticky, silty soil. There was also a small band of large grade gravel running across what once was a water cress bed.

The aim of the roundabout is to minimise the infrastructure impact on this area, whilst maximising the space available for landscaping and caravan parking. Even though a large proportion of this area has a concrete slab over it, as it was where the main work buildings were sited, grading up to the concrete with grass should look just fine.

Roller shutter automation

Yesterday, a local firm came over to Cresslands holding in their sizeable van an arm saving device! For over a year now, every time I needed to gain access to the storage unit for anything larger than will fit through an average sized door, I had to chain lift the roller shutter door manually. Being over 6m wide and made of metal, it’s HEAVY! – But now – ta-da we have a brand new motorised unit that does the hard work for me. Oh the joy of just pushing a button.

The glorious control box

The glorious control box

new brood box

After a search on YouTube I learnt how to assemble the flat-pack brood box I ordered. Many gimp pins later it’s complete and ready to go. I need to order some spacers to keep the frames an even distance from each other and a smoker, then just a bit of courage and a bee keepers suit to put it on the bee hive. In order to get the bees to rise up into the new brood box, I purchased a ‘feeder’ unit which sits over one of the crown board holes and draws them up with the temptation of a sticky syrup. Wish me luck!

The new bee hive brood box ready to go (almost)

The new bee hive brood box ready to go (almost)

It’s a sign!

Today another monumental moment in the Cresslands development was reached – we have signage! The long deliberated over and carefully planned main sign for the top of the storage unit was delivered and expertly installed. It fits just right and proportionally spot on in my opinion. Very exciting, as it brings the whole project even … View this gallery